Ontraport vs Infusionsoft – The Complete Comparison
“Who is the winner of the battle Infusionsoft vs Ontraport?”
Infusionsoft and Ontraport are the most relevant all-in-one marketing automation tools for small businesses today – they combine the power of CRM, e-Commerce, affiliate tracking and sophisticated automation, bundled into one affordable platform.
Both products have their pleasure and pain points as outlined below. This comparison is the result of years of experience of working with both systems.
In-depth comparison by Certified Consultant
Hi there, I’m Sarit Neundorf, and I’m one of very few people in the world who are Certified Consultants for BOTH, Ontraport AND Infusionsoft. These Certifications are not easy to get: big fees, prerequisites, several days of in-house training, full-on 6+ hour exams, annual recertification exams. I have used both platforms extensively in my own businesses, and I have helped a sizable number of business owners with strategic planning, implementation and optimization on both programs. So, yes, I do know what I’m talking about… About...
The Lowdown – Quick Overview For Busy People
Here’s my verdict, based on years of experience with both platforms and taking into account the most recent development:
- Get Ontraport.
- Don’t get Infusionsoft, unless you have a couple of very specific requirements that are outlined below.
Ontraport is getting better and better and better – fast. Infusionsoft, despite large-scale funding and employing a huge team, is, inexplicably, just too slow to deliver what their customers need and are asking for. With Infusionsoft you require paid 3rd party apps to achieve some of the most basic tasks, like modern forms, pages, split-testing, text messaging, field math, the list goes on and on. Attempts at rolling out important features that could be considered standard, sometimes take years, if they happen at all, and when they happen they are often half-assed (I have many examples for that).
Until very recently (June 2017) I used to recommend Infusionsoft over Ontraport for most users, simply because Infusionsoft had a visual campaign builder and Ontraport did not. From a technology and versatility standpoint Ontraport has been superior to Infusionsoft for quite a while, but – prior to the introduction of their campaign builder – it was a really hard system to configure if you weren’t a techie-geek.
But now Ontraport rolled out their visual builder, which is a KILLER building tool AND a killer reporting/analytics tool in ONE. And, boy, does it make Infusionsoft’s builder look sad in comparison.
Watching Ontraports campaign builder / campaign reporting in action made it really clear to me that Ontraport gets shit done. They listen, they research, they care about their customers’ experience, and they are small enough yet tenacious enough to roll stuff out in short time with a really small team of motivated folks.
This, of course, is the super short version. Please spend as much time as you like on this page, and use the detailed comparison below to form your own opinion and make a decision which of these tools is the best fit for you and your business.
Ontraport may be a better fit for you if…
- You are a very small entity or “solopreneur”, specifically from the following industries: Information Marketers, Coaches, Speakers, Consultant, Authors (View Success Stories…)
- You want lots of functionality and pretty much all you will ever need included out-of-the-box and not purchase a number of 3rd party tools to do things like split-testing, campaign reporting, WordPress membership, SMS…)
- Your initial funds are low and you don’t want to pay for multiple 3rd party add ons.
- You like the cool, fresh, modern, fun vibe of this smaller, more personal, more flexible company.
- You are sending out a high volume of emails and you need your own IP address (or want to have control about your own sender reputation) (extra fee applies)
Infusionsoft may be a better fit for you if…
- You are more a “classic” small business (as opposed to “online”) with a small number of employees and/or a small sales team. (View success stories…)
- You are a B2B business
- You sell services or products that require a “complex” sales process – i.e. multiple conversations and follow ups, quotes, proposals, product demos etc.
- You need sales opportunity management and sales pipeline(s) (with automation)
- You want a full shopping cart, and not just order forms, out-of-the-box.
- You feel safer with a more established brand, backed by a bigger company and some multi million dollar funding.
- You want access to a huge ecosystem of 3rd party apps, consultants and integrations
The biggest PAIN and PLEASURE points
Here is a list of the biggest “gotchas” from a daily practice point of view that will shed some light on the Ontraport vs Infusionsoft debate.
The PLEASURE points are features that will delight you, turn you on, excite you and make you sing “Hallelujah” each time you realize that they are available and/or you use them.
The PAIN points are these daily “WTF!?” moments when you think “How is it possible that this is so clumsy or not even there at all?”
Ontraport pleasure points…
- Game-changing state-of-the art visual campaign builder with serious visual reporting and analytics capabilities
- Ontrapages web-page builder to create mobile responsive forms, landing pages and forms (similar to LeadPages, but simpler to use, more flexible and more functions). Ontrapages is also available as a free standalone product (Demo video…)
- Ontraforms mobile responsive, great looking modal forms with a wide range of display options.
- Ontramail mobile responsive email editor (Video…)
- Built in A-B-C-D split testing for everything: emails, sms, post cards, landing pages, even entire campaigns
- Built in 2-way text messaging
- Built in 1-click upsell
- Custom objects with 1-to-1, 1-to-many and many-to-many relationships that allow you to build custom data objects in addition to the basic “contact” object
- Facebook connect (1-click opt in)
- Built in Facebook Custom Audience integration (More…)
- Rules that watch everything you can imagine
- Built in tracking of website visits by data base contacts (which can then trigger an action)
- Personalized URLs (PURLS)
- Built in Postcards (US only)
- Personal coupon codes (one-time use, can be set to expire on specific date or amount of time after creation)
- Group coupon codes can be limited in number
- Private IP possible (extra fee)
- Attractive subscription management page
- Built in leadsource tracking with UTM variables
- Conditional logic on forms
- Easily add fields to order forms
- Lead scoring with tons of conditions and automatic degradation
- Dashboard widgets are very flexible for reporting
Infusionsoft pleasure points
The amazing Visual Campaign Builder. This is HUGE! Imagine dragging and dropping all your forms, triggers, decisions, rules and triggers onto a canvas and connecting them with lines. Easy, fast, all in one place. Amazing!Update: Sadly, as of June 2017, after Ontraport rolled out their revolutionary visual campaign builder and reporting tool, the Infusionsoft campaign builder looks really sad in comparison. Infusionsoft’s in-campaign reporting is rudimentary at best.
- My Day productivity tool – calendar, tasks etc. in one, nice looking location for enhanced productivity
- “Full” Shopping Cart (but rudimentary)
- Take mobile payments via mobile app and proprietary card reader.
- Opportunity Management and Sales Pipeline
- Huge marketplace of 3rd party apps, Certified Consultants and dozens of free campaigns that you can import into your app with one click
Ontraport PAIN points
No visual campaign builder – things are all over the place. All forms, rules, triggers, sequences that belong to one and the same campaign are somewhere in lists of all other forms, rules, triggers etc. You can’t easily “see” how everything is connected and need to maintain strict naming conventions to find your stuff.Update: Thank god, that is a thing of the past (look under “pleasure points”)
- No tag categories (grouping of tags only by exact naming convention and filtering)
- Very few reliable 3rd party apps to enhance functionality. At the time of writing: super minimal Zapier integration.
Infusionsoft PAIN points
- Despite enormous funding they are very slow at fixing things or adding highly requested features. (e.g. customizable order forms)
- A lot of things that you would think should be there out of the box are not only not there, but also downright difficult to achieve (unless you get a 3rd party add on, some custom API programming or know how to “hack” HTML and CSS.)
- Extremely limited forms and pages. After not offering anything mobile responsive for years, we’re finally seeing some attempts in providing modern-ish landing pages, but they are rudimentary at best.
Forms are a complete joke – not responsive, no in-line form validation (instead a hideous screen)
- Order forms are very hard to configure
Feature Comparison by Category
I don’t want to completely overwhelm you. That’s why this section has been edited to show only the most important differences.
The respective winning features are displayed in bold for a faster comparison.
- Great, flexible, freely customizable CRM, but contact-centric (no out-of-the-box B2B record types like companies and opportunities)
- Custom data objects that can be linked in 1-to-1, 1-to-many and many-to-many relationships. Linked data can be used in automation. This is very unique and powerful. (Read more…)
- Contacts can enter through one-click Facebook connect
- Has no “traditional sales features” such as Opportunities and Pipelines that support the sales process.
- 150 Custom Fields (per object type)
- Layout of the CRM part is fully customizable in tabs, sections and fields (standard and custom fields)
- B2B-enabled CRM with company records and opportunities (in “Deluxe Sales” edition)
- No way to create new object types, create relationships between them and use data from a connected data set inside automation
- No Facebook connect
- (“Deluxe Sales” and “Complete” only) Very powerful system to build sales pipelines and to track opportunities and sales processes – automated follow up processes as opportunities move through stages. Great for sales-teams.
- 100 Custom fields per record type (100 fields for contact records, 100 for company records, 100 for orders, 100 for opportunities etc.)
- Layout of the CRM is not customizable. Only custom fields can be rearranged on the custom tabs, which is cumbersome.
Marketing and Automation
Ontraport Marketing and Automation
- Great builder for pages, forms, order forms and post-cards. Elements can be arranged on layers and moved freely
- Ontrapages – a mobile responsive landing page builder similar to LeadPages
- Ontramail – mobile responsive customizable email templates
- Extremely convenient, integrated A/B/C/D split testing for everything – landing pages, forms, emails, postcards.
- Leading edge visual campaign builder tool with very strong built in campaign reporting
- Facebook Custom Audience integration (More…)
- Printed post cards (full-color on both sides, UV coated, and sent with first-class mail)
- PURLs = Personalized URLs that can be printed on postcards in order to track client interaction or sent by email for better personalization
- Two-way SMS messaging out-of-the-box
- No voice broadcast (but integrates with VoiceShot and CallLoop, an additional expense per month)
- Basic easy membership site functionality (for WordPress sites) is included (simple functionality, it pretty much only allows you to display or hide pages and content according to a contact’s membership status)
- “OK” drag-and-drop form and page builder. Somewhat limited in how to arrange things on the canvas. Very limited design capabilities (e.g. no transparency)
- Nothing is mobile responsive
- Almost impossible to design mobile responsive emails without the help of a developer
- Split testing is possible but really difficult and a LOT of work
- Decent visual campaign builder, but with very insufficient reporting capabilities
- No postcards, but letters and faxes
- No PURLs
- SMS messaging only through 3rd party add-ons (an additional expense per month)
- Includes voice and fax broadcasts
- No membership site functionality included. You have to invest in an add-on like CustomerHub, iMember360 or Wishlist Member at a monthly fee. These tool, however, do much more than the simple Ontraport functionality.
- Has no shopping cart/ storefront, only order forms. It is necessary to have a separate shopping cart. They offer integration with 1Shoppingcart and Ultracart
- Built in feature to create complete chains of up-sells and down-sells
- Individual and Group Coupon Codes In addition to general coupon codes (for everybody) you can also create personal custom codes dynamically, in the moment that you send out an email, a text message or a postcard, and set it to expire on either a fixed date or x amount of time after its creation. Powerful! Group codes can be limited how often they can be used.
- Build flexible, mobile responsive Order Forms with Ontrapages. Easily collect additional information or let people agree to terms and conditions without hiring a programmer (something that Infusionsoft has refused to implement for at least 5 years now – inexplicable)
- Stripe gateway integration
- (“Deluxe E-Commerce” and “Complete” only) Has a shoppingcart / storefront built in, which is pretty decent but not as feature-rich as a dedicated shopping cart product like 1Shoppingcart etc.
- Has a rather simple, targeted up-sell function inside order forms and shopping cart (similar to the “you might also like this item – add to cart?”). Building 1-click upsells is difficult or requires a 3rd party plugin.
- Only group promo codes, no individual ones. Group codes can’t be limited in number of uses.
- Ok-looking order forms that are not only not really mobile responsive but also impossible to configure without an advanced html/css/java programmer (try adding a “terms and conditions” checkbox…)
- Integrates with several payment gateways, but not Stripe. They offer their own “Stripe-like” payment processor, easy set-up and similar conditions as Stripe
- Process credit card payments through Infusionsoft mobile app and proprietary card reader
Pricing and Signup
Ontraport Pricing and Signup
- Click here to see the Ontraport Pricing Page
- Available in 3 editions: Basic, Pro and Team – and one secret special edition that I am not allowed to make public here. It’s the best deal to get started with killer marketing automation that you’ll find anywhere, hands down. This edition is only available to my personal contacts, so please hit me up if you want to know more.
- Number of Users: 1 (Basic) 2 (Pro), 10 (Team)
- Number of Contacts: 1,000 (Basic), 25,000 (Pro), 100,000 (Team)
- Emails/month: Unlimited (Basic), 100,000 (Pro and Team)
- Monthly costs: $79 (Basic), $297 (Pro), $597 (Team)
- Setup fee: None.
- Two hours of Onboarding Consultation included for free (that’s nice, but not realistic to achieve anything much.)
- Free postmaster review (Pro and Team)
- Free phone support and live chat during the following times: Mon – Thu 6am – 12am, Fri 6am – 9pm and Sat – Sun 9am – 9pm (all times in PST) – the most customer friendly times in the industry
Infusionsoft Pricing and Signup
- Click here to see the Infusionsoft Feature and Pricing Page
- Available in 4 editions: Starter, Essentials, Deluxe (Sales or E-commerce) and Complete
- Number of Users: 1 (Starter), 3 (Essentials), 4 (Deluxe), 5 (Complete)
- Number of Contacts: 500 (Starter), 2,500 (Essentials), 5,000 (Deluxe), 10,000 (Complete)
- Emails/month: 2,500 (Starter), 12,500 (Essentials), 25,000 (Deluxe), 50,000 (Complete)
- Monthly costs: $99 (Starter), $199 (Essentials), $299 (Deluxe), $379 (Complete), $599 (Team)
- Obligatory Onboarding Service at: $999 (Kickstart Lite- a couple hours coaching and one campaign), $1,999 (Kickstart – some coaching, three campaigns), $2,999+ (customized done-for-you implementation)
- Free phone support (with free phone numbers in US, UK and AUS): Mon – Fri 6 AM to 7 PM (Arizona time), Live Chat 24/7, but in my experience that’s not always reliably so.
- Has been around since 2006, and has grown by 3,000% in the last 3 years
- Has a team of around 100 employees.
- Works with a “bootstrapped” budget but gets stuff done